Roulette Description And Roulette Rules
What this game is all about? Roulette is a game with French roots, since this is basically a French word that means a little wheel. That’s why online roulette is also called an online wheel spinner or simply a wheel. That’s how we’ll occasionally call this game in this article.
The main idea of any roulette is, basically, to place bets of different kinds, namely,
- single number bets;
- bets of different groups of numbers;
- bets of colors red or black;
- bets on odds or even numbers;
- bets on low (1-18) or high (19-36) numbers, etc.
Find some more detailed information about different kinds of bets and their peculiarities in the corresponding section below in this article.
Unlike many other casino games played with a dealer, it’s croupier who you can play roulette online with. It’s croupier who helps clarify the game outcome by spinning a wheel in one direction and spinning a ball in the other direction. The ball is supposed to spin around a tilted circular track that runs around the outer wheel edge. When the ball loses momentum, it passes through a deflectors area, and eventually falls on a certain pocket on the wheel. Every wheel pocket has a specific number (from 0 to 37 or 38 depending on the game roulette type) and color (red or black). Depending on the pocket whereon the ball falls the game outcome is decided.
Talking about the online roulette wheel, it’s important for you to understand how it looks and why the numbers and colors are distributed on the wheel exactly the way they are.
- At first glance, it seems that all numbers are distributed randomly, which might be really confusing for new players, as they see absolutely no mathematical connection between different wheel pockets;
- Yet, the seasoned players do know that, in fact, there’s a specific way of the wheel pockets’ distribution;
- Precisely, all the wheel pockets are distributed based on a mathematically balanced pattern, whose main idea is to separate low and high numbers, evens and odds, red and black;
- If you what to become a real expert in a roulette table game, you need to memorize the number sequence of the wheel pockets to make calculations targeted at probability of their winning chances.
You must have noticed that the wheel pockets’ colors are always separated, since you’ll never see two red or two black pockets in a row, they always take turns so that red number is always next to a black one and vice versa. The same way, the even and odd numbers are distributed on the casino wheel, the idea is that there can’t be two odd or even numbers next to each other, only an odd next to an even. However, in some cases there can be two roulette odds or even numbers adjacent to each other if there’s no other way to locate them on the wheel. As for low (1-18) and high (19-36) numbers, they are also all separated as much as possible.
There are three types of roulette wheels, check the number sequences of each of them in the list below:
- Single zero wheel: 0 32 15 19 4 21 2 25 17 34 6 27 13 36 11 30 8 23 10 5 24 16 33 1 20 14 31 9 22 18 29 7 28 12 35 3 26;
- Double zero wheel: 0 28 9 26 30 11 7 20 32 17 5 22 34 15 3 24 36 13 1 00 27 10 25 29 12 8 19 31 18 6 21 33 16 4 23 35 14 2;
- Triple zero wheel: 0 000 00 32 15 19 4 21 2 25 17 34 6 27 13 36 11 30 8 23 10 5 24 16 33 1 20 14 31 9 22 18 29 7 28 12 35 3 26.
As you compare the above listed number sequences, you can see that they are basically the same for a Single zero wheel and a Triple zero wheel, while a Double zero wheel sequence has nothing in common with them.
There are some more tricks and hints to know,
- On a roulette table, there’s a cloth-covered area that is specially designed for betting;
- This betting area is known as a layout;
- It can be of two types – a single zero, which is typical for the European style roulette, and double zero, usually associated with the American style;
- The American style table is quite popular and typical for most casinos;
- There’s also a third type of tables, which is a French style table that is extremely peculiar for Monte Carlo casinos.
The main peculiarity of the French style table lies in positioning the wheel in the center of the table, while a layout is located on either side of the wheel.
What’s really cool is that roulette game rules are quite simple. There are a few important steps you need to learn and always remember while playing the wheel game. So, check these steps in the list below for you to know how to play roulette:
- Launch the wheel game in the online roulette casino of your choice. There’s also an option to play a free online roulette game. It’s a really good idea to start with roulette games for free before you start a real money gambling.
- Press the ‘play’ button. That’s how you’re automatically directed to the fascinating world of wheel gambling.
- Decide on your bet size. You can do this as soon as you see the roulette table. Based on the sum of money you have on your casino account, you can bet using chips of the following value: $0.1, $1, $5, $10, $25 and $100. Mind that your bet can’t be less than $0.1 and more than $100.
Place your bet. Take the chip of the value you want to bet and put it either inside your betting table or outside of it.
- Spin the wheel and wait for the outcome. Check what pocket the ball lands on. Compare the outcome with your bet to know whether you win or lose this round.
- Mind that there’s a wide variety of different betting options, check the section below for more details. Evidently, the payout is based on the probability of your winning chances.
Usually, on the roulette table, for each spin, you can see the maximum and minimum bets separately for both inside and outside bets. Inside bets are usually made with casino chips of different colors so that one can distinguish their value. You can place bets while the ball is spinning around the wheel up to the very moment when the dealer stops accepting bets. In casino terminology, this very moment in the game is known as rien ne va plus, which means that no more bets can be accepted in this round.
As soon as the winning number is revealed, a dealer places a dolly (or a marker) on the winning pocket. No betting operations can be performed when the dolly is on the table. Then the dealer or croupier uses a hand or rake to sweep away all the losing bets. After that, the dealer determines payouts of the winning bets, both outside and inside. When all payouts are made, the dolly can be removed from the board, while the winning chips remain there. Then, a new round comes.
History Of Roulette
We’ll briefly describe the history of this world-known casino activity now,
- The primitive form of a wheel game is known to be introduced by Blaise Pascal in the 17th century, as he was trying to invent a perpetual motion machine, which was supposed to provide everlasting free energy off the reel.
- Another supposition about the game origin is that it’s basically a hybrid of Biribi (which is a French and Italian “cheating game” or game of luck just like Lottery or Lotto with really low bets) and a gaming wheel that was invented in 1720.
- Among the first references of the wheel game, there can be mentioned Québec or New France legal regulations adopted in 1758 that served to ban such games as “dice, hoca, faro, and roulette”.
- Evidently, the wheel game existed in the early 18th century or maybe it appeared even earlier.
- The way it’s played now was first introduced in 1796 in the Palais Royal, Paris.
- The game was first described in La Roulette, ou le Jour, the 1801 French novel by Jaques Lablee. The book describes how that game was played back in 1796. First, there’s a description of the house pockets – “There are exactly two slots reserved for the bank, whence it derives its sole mathematical advantage” and the layout “two betting spaces containing the bank’s two numbers, zero and double zero”.
- In the late 1790s when the casino wheels were introduced in Paris casinos, the single zero pocket was red, while the double zero pocket was black. Yet it was quite confusing taking into account the fact that both red and black colors can result in a win, while zero pocket is a loss. That’s why to avoid such confusion, since the 1800s, zero pockets were turned into green.
- In the 19th century, roulette became one of the most popular and famous casino games, so it started gradually spreading across Europe and USA.
Soon after the wheel game appeared, there started emerging its different variations. See the following examples below,
- In an early American version, there were the following pockets on the wheel: numbers from 1 to 28, a single 0, a double 0, and the Eagle that symbolizes American liberty. The eagle slot served as an extremely lucky pocket as it brought casino extra edge. Shortly, the eagle slot vanished from the American wheel, whereas the numbered pockets remained.
- In 1843, a single zero wheel was introduced by François and Louis Blanc to compete among casinos with a traditional wheel that had both pockets, single and double zero house. In such a way, in a German casino in Bad Homburg, there emerged a single zero wheel. Since then, it’d become extremely popular, and it was considered truly a premier game. Quite quickly, it was spread across the world, and only in the US, this type of wheel wasn’t really popular because of the American roulette dominance.
- In the 1860s, gambling the government imposed a ban on gambling in Germany, so François and Louis Blanc had to move somewhere where gambling had been still allowed. In such a way, they had ended up in Monte Carlo, which was basically the last place in Europe wherein gambling was still legally allowed. There, they’d established a real gambling mecca for rich Europeans.
Basically, American roulette is quite similar to French roulette, yet with a double zero wheel. Because of various cheating cases, the wheel was moved to the top of the table in order to prevent any case of hiding different devices in the wheel or in the table that would affect the game outcome.
American operators decided to simplify the betting layout. All these changes of the original French wheel game by Americans contributed to the emergence of different types of the casino wheel – French roulette that was evolving in luxurious Monte Carlo casinos and American roulette that was developing in the gambling dens. Finally, we’d add some facts, like,
- American roulette is usually played in North America, South America, and the Caribbean.
- French roulette is popular everywhere else in the world.
- In 2008, over 200 casinos, wherein you can play roulette, were officially tracked.
- In 2016, a triple-zero wheel was introduced in the Venetian Las Vegas. This game type isn’t quite popular yet, however, it’s already played in some casinos.
- If you calculate the sum of all the numbers on the wheel (from 0 to 36), you’ll get the number of the beast, which is 666.
By placing inside the betting table, it means that you select a specific pocket with a certain number on it where you think the ball should land. Another option for inside bets is to select a few pockets that are supposed to be close to each other on the layout.
|Straight or Single||This bet is placed on a specific single number||35 to 1|
|Split||You can place it only on two either vertically or horizontally adjacent numbers, such as 14 17 or 8 9||17 to 1|
|Street||Place it on three numbers in a row on a horizontal line, such as 7 8 9||11 to 1|
|Corner or Square||Has been specially designed for you to bet on four numbers meeting in the same corner, such as 10 11 13 14||8 to 1|
|Six Line or Double Street||This bet can be placed on six numbers in the row that can form two horizontal lines, such as 31 32 33 34 35 36||5 to 1|
|Trio||This bet must involve zero and two other numbers. These are the most common variations: 00 2 3 (double-zero only), 0 2 3 (single-zero only), 0 1 2 (either layout).|
|First Four||This is basically a single-zero layout only, which means that you can bet on 0 1 2 3|
|Basket||Similarly to the first four, this bet is a double-zero layout only, so your bet can be the following: 0 00 1 2 3||6 to 1|
If you want to place an outside bet, you can choose a wider range of pockets, color of the pocket (red or black), or you can guess whether a winning pocket is even or odd. Mind that outside bets usually have smaller payouts, since they have more winning chances. Be aware that all the outside bets lose if the ball lands on a zero pocket.
|1 to 18 (Low or Manque)||The winning pocket is within the chosen low number range||1 to 1|
|19 to 36 (High or Passe)||The winning pocket is within the chosen high number range||1 to 1|
|Red or black (Rouge ou Noir)||The winning pocket is of the chosen color||1 to 1|
|Even or odd (Pair ou Impair)||The winning pocket is of the chosen number type||1 to 1|
|Dozen bet||The winning pocket is within the chosen number range of the indicated dozen:||2 to 1|
|Première douzaine or P12 (from 1 to 12);|
|Moyenne douzaine or M12 (from 13 to 24);|
|Dernière douzaine or D12 (from 25 to 36).|
|Column bet||The winning pocket is in the chosen 12-number vertical columns||2 to 1|
|Snake Bet||The winning pocket is supposed to be one of the following numbers: 1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 27, 30, 32, and 34.||2 to 1|
- Known as a single zero roulette. Here’s the number sequence for it below.
- 0 32 15 19 4 21 2 25 17 34 6 27 13 36 11 30 8 23 10 5 24 16 33 1 20 14 31 9 22 18 29 7 28 12 35 3 26
- Has a single zero wheel pocket (0), which means an immediate loss for mostly all the bets.
- To win, for a start, it’s better to play roulette for free in different online casinos that offer fun free options to play European roulette games.
- In case there are even money wagers, mind that there are certain roulette rules (precisely, “La Partage” and “En Prison”) that halve the house edge from 2.70% to 1.35%.
- The most popular type of European Roulette.
- There are three betting options on the wheel “le tiers du cylindre”, “orphelins”, and “voisins du zero”.
- There apply the same house edge for these wagers as in European Roulette.
- French Roulette is truly the best gambling option for high rollers because there’s a chance to place several bets known as maximum or full.
These kinds of bets let you max out your betting potential. Isn’t that really cool?
- Known as a double zero roulette for it has two zero pockets (0 and 00) on the wheel. Here’s the number sequence for it below.
- 0 28 9 26 30 11 7 20 32 17 5 22 34 15 3 24 36 13 1 00 27 10 25 29 12 8 19 31 18 6 21 33 16 4 23 35 14 2
- This type is extremely popular among American and Canadian gamblers.
- The rules are exactly the same as in European Roulette.
- The only difference is two zero pockets versus one zero pocket in a European version, which makes it easier to lose playing the American Roulette.
- It’s a simplified version of an original roulette, since there are only 13 pocket wheels.
- The numbers are 1-12, plus a single zero pocket.
- This game was specially developed by Playtech, so it’s available only in Playtech casinos.
- You can come across it in the Arcade Games section.
- Its table layout is extremely different from the common version. The outside bets include the following pairs: 1 and 6, 7 and 12, 4, and 9.
- The strategy of playing this game is also extremely different because of alternative rules. For instance, if the ball falls on the zero pocket, only half the bet can be lost. That’s why we strongly warn you against betting on wagering options with a zero pocket, since they have twice the house edge.
What we advise if you choose to play this game, make only the following kinds of bets – column bets without zero, single bets, even money bets, row bets, split bets, and square bet.
- As you might have already guessed, this game is associated with Marvel Comics.
- The developer is Playtech, so it’s available only in Playtech casinos.
- The most popular Marvel heroes are featured, including The Hulk, Captain America, Spider Man, Iron Man, and Wolverine.
- What’s really cool about it that instead a zero pocket there’s a bonus pocket.
- When the ball lands on a bonus pocket, a cool bonus game gets activated and lets you win different prizes similar to from slot machines.
What a cool gambling option, huh?
|Double Ball Roulette|
- This game type was first introduced by the Las Vegas Tropicana Casino in 2013.
- The idea was to spin two balls simultaneously.
- This game is quite similar to a multi spin roulette, multi spin slot machines, and multi hand video poker.
- Your winning chances are doubled, since you can win every time when the wheel spins.
- A free play roulette with two balls is available in many online casinos.
- You can play a double ball roulette online for fun or to practice for a real money gambling.
Isn’t it a really great way to experience double gambling excitement?
- This game was developed by IGT Wagerworks, so you can play it only in IGT Wagerworks casinos.
- This game type basically combines European and French Roulette bets with a pinball machine action.
- Pinball Roulette is very simple to play, since all you need is to place a bet and shoot out the pinball while the wheel is rotating.
- It’s really cool that you can play Pinball Roulette online for free that are absolutely no different from a casino wheel for real money.
- The significant advantage is that you can’t lose anything as you play roulette online for free.
- Neither can you win anything in a free roulette play though.
- The best options of fun free to play games can be found on such IGT websites as Betfair and William Hill.
- This game type is available only on your smartphone, since it’s a specially developed app for mobile gambling by Mywavia Studios.
- It’s basically a mobile roulette.
- Royal roulette free play is available on all the Windows Phone, Android, and iOS devices.
- You can get royal free roulette games on your device by downloading it from either Google Play or iTunes Apps Store.
- What’s really cool about this game is that there are many tricks which can give you an advantage in the game.
In this game, there are available many cheat codes and hacks so that you can get the most from your gambling experience in this very app. Basically, it’s a free roulette simulator that lets you learn all the peculiarities of these wheel game as you play roulette online for fun before you start real money gambling.
Even though Royale Roulette is a free roulette game online, you can still do some purchases in the app. In such a way, you can get such cool cheats as free casino hacks that serve to add some advanced features and special challenges, which is particularly cool when you play free roulette online for fun rather than get any kind of financial benefits. However, we warn you that cheating is really bad, so we don’t really recommend you using all those cheat codes even if you want to get some roulette practice or simply play roulette for fun.
|Rapid or Electronic Roulette|
- This game is known as a rapid or electronic casino online roulette.
- It’s played with live dealers along with a betting terminal.
- Rapid Roulette betting terminal are quite popular in Las Vegas land-based casinos.
- The interface of the terminal resembles a tablet PC.
- There are many casinos worldwide, wherein you’d play this game.
- Where you will find it for sure is Caesars Entertainment casinos, such as Monte Carlo, Caesars Palace, and Paris Las Vegas.
- What’s really nice about this specific game type is that it lets you place bets much easier than it works in other wheel games.
- A minimum bet in most gambling venues varies from $2.50 to $5.00 that can be divided into 50 cent wagers between different numbers.
As for the maximum bet allowed in this game, it’s usually $100 per wager. It’s really easy for gamblers to track their statistics, since they’d see the results of the latest 20 spins in the gaming history. Even though there’s no chance to build a working strategy roulette based on these results, there’s still a chance to analyze the patterns and use this analysis results in your future wheel gambling.