Table of Contents
Dear Canadian gamblers, we are happy to welcome you on the web page devoted to gambling in the Canadian capital Ottawa. Because of the city’s location, casino enthusiasts have plenty of land based gambling options in Ottawa as well as in Quebec casinos that are really close to Ottawa. A really worthy casino near Ottawa is Casino Lac-Leamy at Hilton Lac-Leamy about which you can read in the table below in this article that serves to inform you about worthy land based casinos in Ottawa area. Go on reading to find out all the gambling peculiarities in the Canadian capital!
Ottawa is known for being the capital of Canada. Ottawa was founded in 1826. Initially, it was named as Bytown. In 1855, when the city evolved into the Canadian political centre, it was renamed to Ottawa because of the Ottawa River whose name derives from the native Algonquin Odawa, whose meaning is “to trade”.
The Canadian capital is located in the east of southern Ontario, specifically on the south bank of the Ottawa River that basically separates the province of Ontario from Quebec. The capital of Canada borders with Gatineau, Quebec. Nowadays, the capital’s population surpassed 1 million, which makes it the fourth-largest city in Canada and the fifth-largest census metropolitan area.
Ottawa is admitted to have the highest standard of living in Canada and the lowest unemployment rate (The Canadian Press). The population of Canadian capital is well educated (most educated in Canada) since the city is home to many research, post-secondary, and cultural institutions, including the National Gallery, the National Arts Centre, and various national museums.
What is highly exceptional about the capital of Canada is that the temperature here can range from 30°C in summer to -40°C in winter, which makes Ottawa “the seventh coldest national capital in the world based on average annual temperature” (CBC News).
The Canadian capital is also quite a popular tourist destination. Here you can enjoy such cool focal points as Centre Block on Parliament Hill, the National Gallery of Canada, the National War Memorial in downtown Ottawa, and the Rideau Canal with Château Laurier.
Popular Sports in Ottawa
As it is in any other Canadian city and province, sports are quite popular in Ottawa. Among the most loved sports of the capital residents, it’s definitely worth mentioning ice hockey, football, soccer, baseball, and basketball. Talking about casual recreational activities that are extremely popular in the city, they include the following: skating, hiking, cycling, sailing, skiing, golfing, fishing, and ice fishing.
In case you are interested in sports betting, which is legally prohibited in the province of Ontario, yet is not regulated in online casinos, we recommend you betting on the professional teams and leagues listed in the table below based on the sport they play.
|Ice hockey||Ottawa Senators (since 1990)||National Hockey League (NHL)|
|Football||Ottawa Redblacks (since 2010)||Canadian Football League (CFL)|
|Soccer||Ottawa Fury FC (since 2011)||USL Championship (USLC)|
|Baseball||Ottawa Champions (since 2014)||Canadian American Association of Professional Baseball (Can-Am)|
Legal Gambling Peculiarities in Ottawa
Since Ottawa belongs to the legislature of the province of Ontario, its gambling laws are the same as in the province. In such a way, in the Canadian capital as well as across the Ontario province and Canada in general, gambling was legalized in 1969. In Ottawa, gambling laws are regulated by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLGC) that was launched in 1975. Nowadays, gambling in the province is regulated by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
Basically, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) regulates the following forms of gambling in the province in general and in Ottawa in particular:
- Lotteries of the OLGC;
- Land based casinos, specifically 25 slots and casino venues in Ontario that are conducted and managed by the OLGC;
- Internet gaming, specifically the OLGC online casino PlayOLG, which is the only legal online casino available in Ontario that is regulated by AGCO. With PlayOLG, you can play various interactive casino games, specifically slot machines and table games such as Blackjack, Poker, Baccarat, and Roulette.
- Charitable gaming that includes such games as raffles, bingo, and the sale of break open tickets.
Be aware that according to the Canada Criminal Code, in Ottawa, it’s legally prohibited to take part in sports betting. What is really cool though is that there are absolutely no laws that would forbid you to play in offshore online casinos. Check the list of the best online casinos for Ottawian gamblers in the corresponding section below in this article.
Talking about the legal gambling age in Ottawa, you can’t gamble unless you are aged 19 and older. However, because of Ottawa’s location, which is just across the Ottawa River from Quebec, there’s a way out. If you are already 18, you can simply opt for Quebec casinos, where you can legally play in this age.
Just for your info, in Quebec, gambling has become legal since and is currently regulated by The Quebec Alcohol, Racing and Gaming Commission (La Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux). Should you be interested in land based gambling in Quebec, check out the following options:
- Casino de Charlevoix located on 183 Rue Richelieu, La Malbaie, QC (Tel.: +1 418-665-5300);
- Casino de Mont-Tremblant located on 300 Chemin des Pléiades, Mont-Tremblant, QC (Tel: 819-429-4150 or 1-877-574-2177);
- Hippodrome Trois Rivieres (3R) located on 1600 Boulevard Rue des Forges, Trois-Rivières, QC (Tel: (819) 374-6734);
- Playground Poker Club located located on 1500 Route 138, Khanawake, QC;
- Casino Lac-Leamy at Hilton Lac-Leamy located on 1 Boulevard du Casino, Gatineau, QC;
- Casino de Montreal located on 1 Avenue du Casino, Montréal, QC (Tel.: +1 514-392-2746);
- Poker Palace located on 247 Québec 132, Khanawake, QC;
- Salon de Juex Quebec located on 552 Boulevard Wilfrid-Hamel, Québec, QC;
- El Jumelgi Bar and Poker Room located on 3871 Rue Sainte-Catherine Est, Montréal, QC;
- Salon de Juex Trois-Rivieres located on 1900 Boulevard des Forges, Trois-Rivières, QC.